The James H. Berry House in Yellville
The following is an excerpt taken from the ARKANSAS GAZETTE: "James H. Berry was born in Washington County, Virginia, in 1824, the third of eight children born to William and Elizabeth Berry. In 1843 the Berry family moved to Missouri and started a mercantile business. In 1851 James moved to Yellville, one of the older settlements in Arkansas. James Berry family moved to Missouri and started a mercantile business. In 1851 James moved to Yellville, one of the older settlements in Arkansas. James Berry started the J. P. Vance Mercantile Company and in 1853 was able to replace his two-room log cabin with a house suitable for a prosperous merchant. The house was built by local craftsmen and slaves. The brick for the chimney was made of mud taken from the banks of Crooked Creek.
During the Civil War, the house was used by both Confederate and Federal Troops as their headquarters.
As far as is known, the Berry house is the only remaining house built during the early development of Yellville.
James H. and Huldah Mae Berry are buried in the Layton Cemetery near Yellville. He died in 1896 and she died in 1916."
Reprinted with permission from History of Marion County edited by Earl Berry, copyright 1977.